October 13, 2013

Jane Lapotaire interviewed in the Coventry Telegraph

October 11, 2013 - Catherine Vonleebur

Jane Lapotaire's dressing room at the RSC is Room 101.
"Isn't Room 101 where you throw unwanted things?" laughs the witty Tony Award-winner.


She is next door to David Tennant, who she says "is on stage most of the time".


It is the first time Jane has returned to theatre since suffering a near-fatal brain aneurysm at 57, while teaching a Shakespeare masterclass for an International School in Paris in January 2000.


One of the leading stage actresses of her generation, Jane is making her comeback at the RSC as the Duchess of Gloucester in artistic director Greg Doran's Richard II .


"I feel overwhelmed, joyous, excited, frightened, nostalgic and overjoyed to be back, especially working with Greg. I played Katherine of Aragon in his Henry VIII.


"When he rang and asked me if I'd like the part I said: 'you have made my dreams come true'. I was like a six-year old. '' "I love the man.


He runs a rehearsal room that's full of trust and affection. Being a actor is a vocation. not do it famous or money, you it because love the This is my come true JANE "It was assumed I would never work on stage again, largely because of stamina. Greg has given me one scene." 


Jane returns to her first stage performance since collapsing with a brain haemorrhage 13 years ago.

Click here to read the entire article.